Wednesday, November 18, 2015

SketchUp Practice

In order to aid in our layout planning and to make our blog more aesthetically pleasing, I decided I would play around with SketchUp- a 3D model building program I had used in the past at work but hadn't tried out in a few years.

I used the basement floor plan that I found on the Ryan Homes website, and after reacquainting myself with the nuances of the program, I managed to build a basic model complete with walls, two windows, and a carpet that closely matched our shade of grey.  Unfortunately, Heather informed me after the fact that I had actually created a rendering of the wrong floor plan, as our home has the "reverse" floor plan of the standard Venice model.  So there went an hour of my life that could have been spent otherwise...

On the bright side, I started to get the hang of the program again after not touching it for several years.  If any of our other fellow prospective home-builders wish to give it a spin, it can be downloaded for free from their website.  It may not be the most user-friendly program I've ever encountered but there are plenty of tutorials available on YouTube and it's free, so I really don't have much room to complain.  I'll look to make a model of the correct floor plan sometime in the near future so we can try and put the program to better use.

Rob's (failed) attempt at creating a 3D rendering of the future basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment